Oakland failed to secure more than $180 million in federal funds that would have benefited the A’s proposed waterfront ballpark and surrounding development, raising the question of whether the city will be able to get the project done.
A spokesperson for Oakland said Tuesday it had not received any of the $182 million it applied for from the federal Transportation Department’s Megaprojects grant program. Officials had previously said the city might not get the full amount it requested — or any of it.
The city said in a statement it had applications pending for $100 million in other grants and had already secured $375 million in grants for transportation projects.
“While we are disappointed to have not been selected in the first round, we believe we put forward a strong application and are well positioned to secure other funding sources,” said Fred Kelley, director of the Oakland Department of Transportation. “We will continue to pursue other funding sources to ensure our projects have the resources they need.”